• Print

Author Topic: Studio 397 RoadMap  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Gupster

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 397 RoadMap
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 07:37:50 PM »
I just got installed to steam, so how do i get mods into RF2 now?
The getmod is'nt working for anything,always get "Bad file descriptor" when i try to join..The package system has changed and  it's all very confusing.

That usually points to your game launcher packages directory. Make sure it's on the folder in your install or you'll get that fault. I have my big packages folder on a network drive and have had the same message, change it back to the steam install folder and get mod works again.

Offline spidey

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 11:20:10 PM »
Thanks, Gup. I made the (erroneous) assumption from the lack of Live Timing that the server hadn't been refreshed.

Live timing is now working.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 03:51:35 PM »
Studio 397 has released their January update! 
https://www.studio-397.com/2017/01/roadmap-update-january-2017/

News on the current and ahead of schedule progress on DX11 with some images (current state, not  final) that show significant improvements in colour tone, saturation and shadows.  I'm just hoping for better brightness than what I'd expect from a cheap 1960s fixed-aperture pocket camera when there's a few clouds in the sky.

News on progress of the HTML5 based UI. I'm not happy with the gaudy poster colours, but if it's easy and intuitive to navigate, that'll be the limit of my critique. Interesting up-front "Watch" (spectate?) function, eh. Some extra focus and perhaps some innovations for multiplayer.

A little upcoming content news (Radical & C7.r) with an expected release time frame for NOLA (end Feb) and an update for the GTR GT500 (end Jan).

Offline Mike Fertitta

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 10:14:34 AM »
I'm not happy with the gaudy poster colors

No shit, right?  Plus I fixed that colors for you lol :)

On a side note what ever happened with NOLA it was there for one IndyCar race on an unfortunate weekend and nothing since?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 10:18:21 AM by Mike Fertitta »

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
https://www.studio-397.com/2017/02/roadmap-update-february-2017/

The February Roadmap Update was just released.
Next release, is due at the end of Q1 which I always take as a vague reference to the end of the March give or take a week or two.
More DX11 curiously characterized at once as "complete" and later, "still in alpha"...
Development of VR is revealed as "in our first development stage" now that they are done (almost?) DX11 work...
Lots of pretty DX11 screen shots reveal a cooler (bluer) tone and more photographic contrast...
An explanation of some stuff to expect from the "Competition Infrastructure"...
A simple statement on the ongoing UI development plus a revealing screenshot that is far more exciting and informative than January's...
NOLA release date is pegged for the 28th...
2-way radio communications!!!? This sounds suspiciously like a native implementation of Crew Chief for rF2! Aiming for next summer...
Finally, S397 is formally inviting modders to collaborate in the transition to DX11 (with access to DX11 pre-release builds).

Offline Racinjon

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 06:38:45 PM »
All great news!  Once the graphics for rf2 get updated, it will look AND feel great!
-RJ-

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2017, 04:49:10 PM »
The RF2 March Roadmap Update is out and its a mix of interesting and disappointing. https://www.studio-397.com/2017/03/roadmap-update-march-2017/

Although previous updates have been optimistic about being on track for a Q1 update with all the DX11 & VR stuff baked in, it appears that S-397 is taking some extra time to polish it to a high gloss. To my mind it is actually not all that surprising and I think the reasoning in the last sentence of the first paragraph reflects the pause I felt when, in the previous update, they talked about inviting modders to update their content for DX11. I have always felt that there are very few modders staying on top of keeping their content fresh or improving it and I think S-397 is having trouble getting modders to bother. So I suspect this delay to May 1st is more about giving modders more time (or S-397 more time to enlist commitment from modders) so that the DX-11 update is not so rife with old or broken content that nobody notices! I suspect that there is some very popular content 3rd party that is going to look terrible without some work. For S-397, it may make more sense to disappoint us on the pending update timing than to allow obsolete content to be the measure of RF2's improvements. On the other hand it just may be more complicated than anyone expected. I do give them Kudos for holding hands with the modding community to get it done.

The mention,"and we fine tuned ambient lighting in overcast conditions by adjusting both the color and intensity of the light." I hope this means the end of dull and dark overcast conditions that screw contrast so bad it's impossible to see properly.  If that's the case, this is my favourite takeaway from the March update. :)

Under the notes on the UI, there's a taste of the new UI and they made mention of the intention to give users the ability to "create your own championships" and "create your own hosted environments" from within the game UI.

In the end though, this update is a little bare as a result of the one month delay with the bulk being enticing, pretty pictures.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 05:00:38 PM by Deadpedal »

Offline HangOn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2017, 08:01:12 PM »
After reading the march roadmap Im getting very exicited too...its looking very good...looking forward to the new improved rf2 ;D

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2017, 07:55:32 PM »
The Studio 397's April Roadmap Update was released this evening and once again I feel the info is a mix of exciting and disappointing. The good things include that as of May 1st we will have DX11 and VR and a new look (tone-mappers) for rFactor2 AND some unspecified content updates. If the teaser shots are hints, might we see the BTCC Honda, the FR3.5 and the Camero GT3 updated? But that is pure speculation. As points that is a pretty slim list, but it still may represent a fairly full basket of goodies. I'm sure Hangon is biting at the bit to try out VR!

On the disappointing side, S397's cautiousness hints at a lack of confidence that all the testing they did may not have been enough and the May 1st release is being called and an Open Beta. With all the effort's ISI made to expunge the term Beta from our vocabulary during the early days of rF2's development, I am more than a little surprised to see the term resurface! That said it appears that it really is exactly that and perhaps it's fair to give them props for this approach. After all it may well be THE biggest divergence from the original vision for rF2 since it's release, easily eclipsing the Steam release for it's significance.

Other disappointments are that we will not see any of the new UI though IMHO, the need for it is not urgent, so if they've got some impressive VR integration to add to the mix, and other stuff, I'm OK with watching it trickle in.

The biggest problem is the the admission that virtually every overlay plugin is and continues to be broken. As a big TrackMap fan, that's a big one for me.

Lastly this one is a mix only because I think it is appears to be important for a certain vocal part of the audience for RF2 and thus may be aimed mostly at reducing criticisms of RF2 compared to rival sims. I am hoping that this statement, "We tried to strike a balance between using these effects to render the real-world imperfections of cameras while retaining the “first person view” you have when racing." This is followed up by three screenshots of motion blur, depth of field and star filter/lens flares, all cinematic/artistic effects, NOT driver's eye experience. So long as this crap is kept out of the driver's point of view, I'll let it pass as necessary to marketing.

Offline Racinjon

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2017, 08:53:52 AM »
Getting psyched for Dx11 update.  Hopefully frames don't tank!  I wish they would incorporate a visor cam for every car.  Simulating wearing a helmet.  Project Cars does a good job of this.  They also have motion blur, which you can turn off, it almost helps you focus on driving.  Anyway, the update is just around the corner!
-RJ-

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 03:33:58 PM »
Well here it is, about 40 minutes ago as I write.
Forum announcement: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/dx11-and-vr-open-beta-is-here.55270/
The full scoop: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/05/open-beta-with-directx-11-and-virtual-reality-support/
May be wise to read that in full before proceeding to upgrade.

Here's what your eyes will see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUTCxPSV5AM
Damn, that's gorgeous!

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2017, 09:10:49 PM »
I'm hoping that this "openness" on the part of S397 in explaining the process will quiet some of the bellyachers who don't seem to understand the nature of a beta release...quite diplomatic on Marcel's part given that you'd swear, from some of responses to the first release, that their food had been poisoned.
https://www.studio-397.com/2017/05/the-road-ahead-open-beta-explained/

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 08:18:22 AM »
The updating of old ISI content by S-397 got DX11 continues. Keep an eye here for all the freshened cars and tracks as they become available and make sure you are subscribed if you wish to have it. You may still have to uninstall old content manually from the launcher.1
http://steamcommunity.com/id/studio-397/myworkshopfiles/

For all discussions re DX11 updates to S-397 and ISI content, see: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/subscribe-to-the-latest-dx11-updated-content.55273/

Also, those of you with custom skins will have to move them to new folders. As S397 updates content, they are dropping the old ISI_ prefix from installed folders and that means the corresponding Player\Settings\ folders will have to change.  The same goes for setups, transparent trainer fast laps and rrbin rubber files stored in track folders. A little file housekeeping now might save you some frustration later.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2017, 08:30:02 PM »
I seemed to have missed the May 18th Roadmap Update yesterday!

A loose idea was offered on the end of the DX11 beta period being in a few weeks. There is a promise to offer some guidelines on screen overlay plugins in DX11 "soon". A clue as to why the content update is coming in chunks and in no particular order.  Seems some tracks take longer because of the need to fix older shaders. The Tigermoth/Dunsfold track and Belgium 1966 are near ready to go.

Some cars are getting physics updates as well as DX11 compatible graphics. CPM updates to the F2 and the Marussia F1 are coming. Looking into the civic and probably others is a little curious wording...I would think that would be a given not a probability.

The Radical is realistically slated for June. The USF2000 is getting an oval package sometime next week which makes sense for a "Road to Indy" car.

The surprise is the announcement of a S397 licensed Zandvoort coming up

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 08:18:11 PM »
I have been eagerly awaiting the June Roadmap Update more so by the fact that it is a few days later than normal. https://www.studio-397.com/2017/06/roadmap-update-june-2017/

Perhaps one of the most anticipated things was the new HTML based UI but alas the news is disappointing. Although they admit that it is taking  longer than expected and giving us a bone on some of the benefits that will come with it, the most disappointing thing is that they are not providing any hint now at all about when it can be expected.

Two updates of existing content are promised for tomorrow, São Paulo, AKA Interlagos, AKA Autódromo José Carlos Pace which frankly needed texture updates from the get-go. The other is the little-loved Formula 2 car (I sometimes feel I was the only one that loved that car) which gets the requisite DX11 texture updates as well as a big physics update.

Already known was that the yet to be released Radical SR3 was pending a paint competition although 7 days ago they said that would come in a "few" days. That turned out to be rather fat few, but the so-called "paintable car" is finally available in the Steam Workshop. To accompany it is a brand new in-game Showroom which I am assuming will no longer be lit like high-noon on the planet Mercury. Not sure I can compete with the best painters, but I shall give it a shot.

Plugins that render to the screen are still in limbo. S397 seems to admit that the "current method" is disappointing them and that it is under review.

An interesting surprise is a signed agreement with MoTec to officially support their tools in RF2! That after more than a decade of people doing it "unofficially" in RF1 & RF2.

• Print