• Print

Author Topic: Studio 397 RoadMap  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 397 RoadMap
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2017, 03:42:39 PM »
The July Roadmap Update was released yesterday: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/07/roadmap-update-july-2017/

There is a first mention of an upcoming "competition structure" and "licensing structure/rating system" for rFactor2 that appears to be a "shot across the bow" of iRacing rather than a copy-cat move.

The McLaren's World's Fastest Gamer competition will spawn S397's first paid content, the McLaren 650s GT3 that's to be used in the competition. Thankfully they are seeing fit to release their Zandvoort free though. Stunning screens shots as screen shots usually are.

Another "soon" for the end of the beta period for DX11. Surprisingly, when that comes, the end of DX9 will not be the result...a tacit acknowledgment perhaps, that there is still a significant portion of the community that just can't make DX11 work for them.

There are some more teasers on the new HTML based UI. Cool one: the setups widgets will show what parameters/specs you've altered as you go about tinkering with a setup with a font colour change!

No longer just working on or exploring options, screen overlays for DX11 has a solution, again with HTML.

It's just hearing "soon" so much gets a little tiring.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2017, 02:59:59 PM »
S-397's August Roadmap Update is out and there are some interesting things if nothing immediately forthcoming.
Though not offered as an excuse for sparse news, mentioning summer vacations in the first paragraph certainly is one. No surprise really, that seems to be par for the course even in ISI days and I bet WFG snatched some team focus this summer.

S-397 shows us some more screenies of the new UI and although it appears even duller than the current scheme (black on grey - perhaps colours are the last line item in the dev plan). At least they are using the available screen real estate and acknowledging with smaller, less cartoonish fonts and graphics, that FHD displays are now essentially ubiquitous and they can stop designing UI's for turn of the century TV screens and CRT monitors. The roll-out of the new UI may be heading down the same road as the DX11-VR of beta testing ("in the coming weeks") and an optional "public beta release". If that were to coincide with the end of DX11 beta, I wouldn't be shocked.

Under the "Competition" heading they explain the leveraging of technology from Luminis and Luminis partners (i.e., outside of S-397 core focus on RF2) that has helped them advance the development of RF2 and it's new competition system. That is to say they have access to some other shit in-house that helps them. I will leave it to you to fathom the technical explanations because it could only be less clear to me if it were written with the Cyrillic or Kanji.

On upcoming content, they admit what we all knew about the state of Zandvoort when they modestly dubbed it v.0.20 but also that very recent changes to the real track may be included in the final release. S-397 announces a license deal with Tatuus.  Considering this: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/tatuus-f4-t014.56161/#post-909778, I suspect that it may be another collaborative effort with Haunetal1990 & SlowMotion who recently brought us the GP3 2016-2017 mod http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=939773105. However, S-397's license is said to be multi-car, not just the one H1990 revealed that he's working on. Interesting.

Finally, the DX11 beta period is scheduled to end at the end of September now. I assume that means they have a defined set of goals to accomplish before Steam buyers no longer will be opting in to a DX11 sim. I put it that way because it appears they intend to keep the DX9 version in development sync until the end of December. That may be a fair indication on how long it will take to implement their "exciting new solution" with regard to DX11 overlay plugins. They admitted last month that that is the reason for continuing parallel DX9 development and may be as close to an admission as we're going to get that perhaps more people than they knew were left with the agonizing either-or choice between TrackMap and DX11 and that these TrackMap and other overlay plugin loyalists are significant, by numbers and/or community stature, RF2 influencers . How much will be left to 3rd party devs and what will come "out-of-the-box" (remember the MoTec announcement from the June update?) is still up in the air. I had hoped that it'd be closely tied to the UI roll-out but a sunset for DX9 at the end of December indicates that it is far more independent.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2017, 05:15:33 PM »
Everyone's been wondering where the September Roadmap Update is given it's now about 10 days late. Well, it was released today: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/09/roadmap-update-september-2017/ and there ain't much meat on the bone. It might be summed up thusly: Rain soon, Bentley GT3 soon, GT3 pack now sometime in October. OK, that's perhaps a touch too cynical. The rain effects, I have to admit, in the video of the Bentley is quite stunning. The rear diffuser spray is amazing though a touch muted in volume maybe to make rain-racing more tolerable in terms of visibility. That said, I am still in no hurry to race in the rain because S397, like every other sim developer, refuses to take the human eye into account for light levels under cloudy skies. I've already wrote far too much about something I could care less about.

Offline cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2017, 06:28:29 PM »
peeps leave servers in droves when it rains so its not very useful anyhow - a cool effect that doesnt get used

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2017, 09:04:14 PM »
For anyone who bought the S-397 pay DLC GT3 Pack, it was finally released in full less than an hour ago.
Includes:
McLaren 650S GT3 (which most of us have)
Bentley Continental GT3 (announced a few weeks back)
Callaway Corvette C7 GT3-R
Mercedes AMG GT3
Radical RXC Turbo GT3
Forum announcement & comment thread: https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/new-gt3-pack-now-available.58031/
Details of cars: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/10/gt3-power-pack-release/ AND!!!....More importantly for everyone, S-397 is updating the DX9 & DX11 builds to support them. Reading "between the lines" reveals that it seems essentially limited to just that so all that new UI and other stuff is still pending. Still good stuff though.

PLEASE NOTE: DX11 is still "OPEN BETA" which means you will  deliberately have to opt-in to the new v1109 build if you want to install it. Otherwise your install stays at "v1108-dx11-open-beta". To refresh everyone's memory, in your Steam Library, right click "rFactor 2 [v1108-dx11-open-beta]" and choose "Properties", then click the "BETAS" tab; click the drop-down arrow for the list and choose "v1109 dx11 open beta". If you're still with DX9, you'll get the new DX9 upgrade automatically so no need to make a choice unless your willing to move to the DX11 version.

Offline cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2017, 06:42:48 PM »
seems the versions are not compatible?

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
True, if by that you mean v1108 to v1109, yes, but that has always been the case. While some updates in the past have not resulted in a version number increment, this one has. The DX version shouldn't matter so long as the game version is the same.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23:52 AM »
Well, everyone who was holding their breath for the October Roadmap Update is dead or severely brain damaged. However, those with patience were rewarded just before the calendar flipped (by just a few hours). It starts with a year-end synopsis that's largely a rehash and an admission that everything is taking longer than they expected. Who hasn't been in that boat.
>The new UI is in private beta testing but with no defined target date, so hard to get pumped up about it.
>The Competition Infrastructure thing, even though some browser-based iteration of it was used during the WFG in the summer, is to be integrated into the game itself "eventually". Mmmm, I don't think I like the word eventually being used here. Could it be that it will still be browser-based when released publicly (and then they'll work on integration) or has it's priority waned entirely?
>All the other eagerly awaited stuff is still being worked on: launcher, dedicated server and a new HUD and overlay system for plug-ins. They admit that it's taking longer than anticipated.
>Nice tidbit: there is to be a new update that will address low FPS with high-quality shadow settings THIS WEEK. I knew that low FPS issues were a thing but didn't know that it had to do with shadow settings. I must check out just how far I pushed those because I think I maxxed them.
>DX11 to be out of BETA & become default by...EOY 2017. That is quite a push back but at least they explain why this time.
>An improved HUD may negate the need for some 3rd party overlay plugin stuff. Maybe SlowMotion's custom HUDs have inspired them! Sometime next year is less vague than eventually, but just barely.
>New tire physics info straight from the man himself, Michael Borda. He describes a rather fundamental rethinking of the tire model; that's sooo cool. Despite that fact that I am of the opinion that RF2's physics is 2nd to none it it not faultless. I really hope this addresses some of the most glaringly obvious grip anomalies.
>Finally, misc. stuff: Progress on upcoming content (C7.r GTE, Zandvoort, Radical & Tatuus) Motec, and acknowledgement and praise for CrewChief that may put their on spotter code improvements on the back burner.

Read for yourself: https://www.studio-397.com/2017/10/roadmap-update-october-2017/

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
The latest Roadmap Update from S-397 has been released.

The first 3 paragraphs hash over the new DLC Formula-e Hong Kong track releases. There’s a link to the Race Department’s “Talk & Drive” with Marcel Offermans that frankly I couldn’t bring myself to finish watching. I’m not sure if it was the content of the talk or the boring sound of the Formula Floor-Polishers in the background but, click, it was gone. If you’re a simracer but not a gearhead/auto enthusiast or maybe you’re severely hearing-impaired then maybe you’ll be interested. That’s not me.

The move to DX11 as the game default (no more “beta”!) has been promised before Xmas, a little more precise than “before year end” that was mentioned in October. Bad news for DX9ers though, they’re dropping anchor on that. It’ll remain available but no more updates for it. I shall not shed a tear if it gets the devs focused and moving ahead faster.

A new default HUD will precede the upcoming HUD/Overlay system that’s been promised since DX11 killed overlays.

The rain update is described as “perfected”. Perfected is a bold word that holds a big promise and says more than “added”, “implemented” or “introduced”. But then they give us WIP shots to show us? WTF, eh?

They say that they have “improved the ambient lighting, producing subtle differences that give the overall image a slightly more dramatic look.” “Dramatic” as opposed to “realistic” gives me pause making me wonder if we’re seeing further pandering to the You-Tube wannabe cinemaphotographers rather than getting it right from a driver’s eye POV.

I am glad to see S-397 working hard to update old content to "take advantage of these new features". I hope that really means ALL new features because there’s quite a lot of old content with old tire models and lacking chassis flex too. It is also stated that they will have a “substantial” part done before the end of the year. But “substantial” is a weasel word that the speaker gets to define.

They will be supporting all new Windows Mixed Reality headsets, more anon they say. I’ll be curious to see where that leads.

Read it all here and some pretty pics too:
https://www.studio-397.com/2017/11/roadmap-update-november-2017/

• Print