• Print

Author Topic: Studio 397 RoadMap  (Read 4090 times)

Offline HangOn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Studio 397 RoadMap
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2018, 02:39:50 PM »
Another good review DP!...As you mentioned, that upcoming car pack does not mention DLC...but..Ill bet you a DLC purchase😉🤗..that it will be $$ ...gone ate the days of free stuff, well, maybe once inawhile they will throw something free in...but it would not surprise me if Sebring is $$ or they may include a car or two with it for a price...dont blame them though..the others do it..

Offline IT-Trader

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:33 AM »
I know I'm not really around much any more (life makes finding the time difficult) but I wanted to thank DP for his monthly posts on the roadmap.
Nicely written and considered views.  Are you sure you should be posting on the internet? ? ? ? !
Keep up the quality work!
ITT.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2018, 02:24:16 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, ITT.

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2018, 12:30:32 PM »
https://www.studio-397.com/2018/03/roadmap-update-march-2018/
Well they squeezed the March Roadmap Update in under the wire. Not sure what the hour would be in the Netherlands but it was after 5pm here. Despite what appears to be a last minute effort, they did however start by acknowledging that these updates are an important communications tool for them. It's nice to know because the lateness of the last few could easily be interpreted otherwise.

Performance improvements are mentioned at the top of the list. Optimizations are still in the works but not yet finding its way to us as they claim to be taking extreme care not to mess things up as they move forward. They aren't forgetting VR and triple-screen users either promising specific enhancements are coming on those fronts as well. This holistic approach eschews incremental updates so we don't see the progress being made but the idea is that when it finally comes, we shouldn't see a litany of complaints and disparaging comments from those with 20/20 hindsight...yeah, good luck on that, boys.

On content, it is refreshing to see the comment on S397's continuing to have a "solid commitment to historic content" because I have had the feeling they felt the need to commit to the mainstream in order to compete. The addition of the free upcoming March 761 and an update to the Brabham BT44 to make head-to-head racing with the March possible is good news.

The Finnish Botniaring circuit is a new announcement and being mentioned in the same breath as the previously announced Tatuus cars makes one wonder if its eventual release might be concurrent with that car or nearly so.

Updates for Zandvoort now being beta tested are imminent. The updates are not just graphics and optimizations but recent changes to the actual circuit. I think it may reveal an ongoing collaborative relationship between S397 and the circuit. If so, that is all so cool IMO. The notes are accompanied by some pretty screenshots. That generic pickup truck in the last one is nicely done. I lament sometimes that track-side vehicles in rF2 have been more scabs and blemishes than the eye candy they could be. I've never taken notice of port-a-potties in RF2 but the one beside the truck gets a 9.95. I suspect the guy who put the effort into the 3-D drainage catch basins in the Mores track has made his mark again. Are discarded coffee cups, cigarette butts and blowing snack wrappers in our future?

The Oreca 07 LMP2 is revealed to be part of an upcoming pack of $DLC. Yeah, there's the mainstream stuff. Too bad it's so f'ugly.

The UI development process is explained nicely and I like what I am reading in terms of the approach here. I sounds like some of the "secret" stuff from the player and controller jsons may be being pulled up to the surface of the UI interface. It'll be interesting to see how that level of detail is handled in the GUI. In this next phase, custom skins and driver swapping in endurance racing is a prime focus to make more user friendly. This strategy looks both sound an calculated. The idea seems to be to give us a sound base in the new UI along with a couple of showcase items that play to RF2's strengths that have been somewhat hobbled and "fiddly" to date.

The approach to the Competition System, like the performance improvements and GUI redesign, is following the same effort to avoid letting out an unfinished and buggy product. The community has not been kind to developers when new stuff breaks existing stuff or bugs show up in the middle of competitions that have been planned for weeks or months in advance.

Finally, the GT3 painters competition will result in skin pack release "next week". They alluded to an automated way of assembling the skins into the pack but didn't say if that will become a tool for the community to use or whether it's just for internal use. I originally thought it was a mistake to release the GT3s as paid content with a paucity of skins but the way it has unfolded, with these competitions getting community artists to be invested, I think S397 has discovered that they can "showcase the many talented painters in our community" to an advantage. I'm not trying to sound cynical, after all it is has been the very much the rFactor model all along to get modders to invest in the sim. To encourage another group of artists (in this case painters) to do the same seems a no-brainer actually.

So in the end, as a consequence of a cautious approach to improvements, we've seen little in the way of tangible enhancements and months of hints and teasers of what is upcoming. Depending on who you are, that could be at once, in differing proportions, exciting and frustrating.

Offline HangOn

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2018, 01:33:19 AM »
Another great review of last roadmap Deadpedal {clap clap clap  ;) } It's slow coming...but..at least something is coming ..looks to be getting better and better ...look forward to next update  :)

Offline cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »
 ???have to keep reminding myself these are updates about updates not actual updates ......otherwise i might lose patience

Offline Deadpedal

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
rF2 Update v1.110
All our frustrations have been relieved! Can you feel the weight being lifted, the sense of elation, joy and peace!?
...until 13 posts in.
https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-build-update-rfactor-2-1-1100-now-available.59808/

Announcement is here...
https://www.studio-397.com/2018/04/release-of-build-1110/

• Print